Saturday 5 May 2012

Cooking- Apricot-Whiskey BBQ chicken



This Saturday, I met up with Marie, Albert and Aaron to try out a recipe that's on The Pioneer Woman.  This woman is amazing and she has great recipes with simple explanation and great step-by-step photos. I have around 10 recipes that I want to try out and post this summer and let's hope that I can get around to it!
 I first saw the recipe for peach-whiskey barbecue chicken last year and have been wanting to try it out.  We decided to meet up last minute to cook together because we haven't seen each other for awhile.  The original recipe uses peach jam and Jack Daniel whiskey but the store nearby didn't carry peach jam so we went with apricot.  Also, we didn't want to purchase a new bottle of whiskey so we just went with Crown Royal that was in Albert&Aaron's house.  It says on the recipe that any whiskey will work so you can substitute Jack Daniel to any whiskey of your preference.   For the original recipe, please press "peach-whiskey barbecue chicken".  My friends and I tweaked the recipe a bit by using chicken legs and thighs because chicken thighs alone were $5 for 3 pieces and we didn't want to spend that much. I'll bold the ingredients we've altered underneath.

Ingredients

  • One package of Chicken legs
  • 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
  • 2 Tablespoons Butter
  • 1 whole Yellow Onion, Diced
  • 3/4 cup Whiskey
  • 12 ounces, fluid Barbecue Sauce
  • 1 jar (500mL) Apricot Preserves
  • 1/2 cup Water
  • 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
  • 2 cloves Garlic, Peeled



 Apricot Jam, BBQ sauce, whiskey


 Chicken thighs and legs

Peeled for mashed potatoes

 put oil and butter in the pan and then add the chicken

 Cook until golden brown

We cooked them for a longer time because the original recipe takes 2 hours because the chicken is put in the oven for about 1.5 hours but we didn't have time so we just decided to cook it in the pan.  

 After cooking the chicken, add diced onion and cook until golden brown.  I love the smell of cooked onion.

  Add the booze.  

The alcohol smell is strong at this stage but you won't even notice when the chicken is finished. 


Also add the BBQ sauce.  We just got a random bbq sauce from the store but if I make this dish again, I think I would definitely go for a different sauce.  It tasted too tomato-y and the colour turned out to be red which is different from the original recipe. 


 Add the apricot jam.



                                                                   Put in some worcestershire sauce



                                                               Put some garlic cloves in and let it shimmer for a bit



                                                                So, this is how we decided to cook our chicken. 



and here is a photo of the finished product.  It is a lot redder compared to the Pioneer Woman's photos and it was sweet and I wasn't sure if it was suppose to be that sweet.  It was still very tasty but I think a hint of sourness would make it better. Overall, it's a very simple recipe and you will end up with a delicious dish in no time.  You can't really go wrong with this dish!  Next time, I am going to to use a different BBQ sauce and try baking it instead of cooking it in a pan.  
There's a lot more cooking coming your way this summer and I am going to be trying various different recipes.  Thanks to Albert, Aaron and Marie for doing this with me.






On the same day, Starbuck's frappuchino happy hour started so I grabbed a macha frap without the syrup.  I find that the syrup takes away the macha flavour so I usually get it without. 





Also did some shopping with Olivia and went home exhausted.  I've been getting 5 hours of sleep all week and I think I need to stay home this weekend and rest.  I like having a busy schedule though and since I was forced wake up early for work, I got my sleeping pattern back to normal. Anyway, Olivia introduced me to a very cute shop on Granville called Brandy Melville on this day.  I'll write more about my thoughts on a next haul post.  :)





Oh, yes! and we also got macarons from the Soirette pop-up store in Holt.  I've heard about Soirette for awhile and been wanting to visit but never got around to it.  I heard good things about it so I was excited to try some of their flavours.  I am going to write a post about macarons in Vancouver for please keep your eyes open for that!  Also, please follow me on instagram and twitter! You can find the links on the right.


Thanks for reading <3


Rei







0 comments:

Post a Comment